[OSM-dev] Nested relations and generic implementation of geometry constructs - Was :osm2pgsql patch for nested relations

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Fri Mar 2 12:44:29 GMT 2012

Am 01.03.2012 15:26, schrieb sly (sylvain letuffe):
> By "meannings" I mean that some relations are made to build a bigger geometry
> (type=multipolygon is one), some to records facts unreleated to geometry (i.e
> type=restriction )
>
> The question is how do we improve that, while keeping free tagging system ?

By defining algorithms to work with relations in one place and mapping
relation-types to that algorithms in another place.

For example:
type=multipolygon --> build-polygon
type=route        --> build-linestring
type=waterway     --> build-polygon
type=restriction  --> discard
type=windmils     --> collect

The goal should be reducing the number of algorithms and re-using them
as much as possible.

Peter