[OSM-dev] Nested relations and generic implementation of geometry constructs - Was :osm2pgsql patch for nested relations

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Mar 2 13:02:14 GMT 2012

Am 02.03.2012 13:44, schrieb Peter Körner:
> Am 01.03.2012 15:26, schrieb sly (sylvain letuffe):
>> By "meannings" I mean that some relations are made to build a bigger
>> geometry
>> (type=multipolygon is one), some to records facts unreleated to
>> geometry (i.e
>> type=restriction )
>>
>> The question is how do we improve that, while keeping free tagging
>> system ?
>
> By defining algorithms to work with relations in one place and mapping
> relation-types to that algorithms in another place.
>
> For example:
> type=multipolygon --> build-polygon
> type=route        --> build-linestring
> type=waterway     --> build-polygon
> type=restriction  --> discard
... or type=restriction --> generate-node (to display a propriate icon,
a node right to (or left in GB) the "from" way with attributes
restriction=no-left-turn, orientation=25° could be used by the renderer
later to display a turn restriction icon on the map. As I would propose
to define the use of algorithms to be configured in any way, that would
be optional anyways.
> type=windmils     --> collect
>
> The goal should be reducing the number of algorithms and re-using them
> as much as possible.
I agree, as long as "as much as possible" refers to the re-use only.
Additional (and useful!) algorithms don't harm if they are not used.

regards
Peter