[OSM-dev] OSM StreetDensityMap

npl npl at gmx.de
Mon Mar 5 19:14:01 GMT 2012

Hi

Last semester, a few other guys and I were involved in a project, where
we wanted to get familiar with hadoop. Since OSM has "big data", we
decided to do some hadoop processing on the osm planet-file. We ended up
creating a StreetDensityMap of the world, and extended JMapViewer for
the graphical output. (screenshot of europe:
https://raw.github.com/npl/dda/master/screenshots/osm_density_europe.jpg)

The project is hosted at github: https://github.com/npl/dda

It gives also a sort-of "osm activity map".

If you want to try it out, you will need your own hadoop cluster (well,
a few nodes a few hours long is enough) -- there is no public server
available. If you've any questions, don't hesitate to ask me!

- npl