[OSM-dev] Possible GSoC project: tag/area monitoring service

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Mar 7 12:22:54 GMT 2012

On 3/7/2012 4:57 AM, Peter Körner wrote:

> A Service that is able to provide
> 1. fast and scalable
> 2. tiled access to
> 3. updated data
> 4. around the world with a constant tile size (eg z12 or z14)
> 5. together with formulars to calculate the tile coordinate from
>    lat/lon and
> 6. complete documentation

I would expand 6 to be documentation for use as well as the ability to
replicate the server environment using OSM planet data update feeds.  I
personally expect the restrictions on the tile servers to be extended to
the API servers when enough application coders implement a way to use
the API directly from thousands or millions of clients at which point
they'll be instructed to fire up their own server and need more than
just use-based documentation.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Trying to get my own tile server working reliably now...