[OSM-dev] Possible GSoC project: tag/area monitoring service

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Thu Mar 8 01:40:43 GMT 2012

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Michael Daines <michael at mdaines.com> wrote:
> When you mention changes to large relations and widely dispersed objects, I was wondering if you had any specific use cases in mind? I'd also be interested in hearing what kind of expressions you might expect to be able to use. For example, I was thinking you could say something like "give me updates for things with the tag highway=residential and is_in=Canada".

I was thinking about very long routes, and country borders. If I want
to monitor changes to my state and interstate routes within the state,
I don't have any good options at the moment to do that. I don't think
it should be terribly difficult to implement, I'm just not sure how
well it will scale. To make it more interesting you could allow for
watching all changes to objects with certain tags that are within a
certain distance of a route relation, or located inside a
multipolygon.

-Josh