[OSM-dev] Automatic modifications to OSM data

Morten Olsen lysgaard morten at lysgaard.no
Mon Mar 12 20:40:48 GMT 2012

I'm running a sister project of OSM, OpenAviationMap.
In it we're collecting open aviation data from around the world.
Some governments hand out open xml data about their airspaces.
We'we created several parsers/converters that make these data sources
into OSM xml. This is easy for first time uploads, we create osm files
with negative id's and action="create" and upload with JOSM.

But now we want to update the data that we've already uploaded. Does
anyone have experience with this in the OSM community?

My initial thought is to generate some unique id that makes it possible
to merge features that already are in the database with the ones
provided by XML but before we over engineer something it would be nice
to hear your two cents =)

--
Morten