[OSM-dev] Automatic modifications to OSM data

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Mon Mar 12 21:14:39 GMT 2012

On 12/03/12 20:40, Morten Olsen lysgaard wrote:
> I'm running a sister project of OSM, OpenAviationMap.
> In it we're collecting open aviation data from around the world.
> Some governments hand out open xml data about their airspaces.
> We'we created several parsers/converters that make these data sources
> into OSM xml. This is easy for first time uploads, we create osm files
> with negative id's and action="create" and upload with JOSM.
>
> But now we want to update the data that we've already uploaded. Does
> anyone have experience with this in the OSM community?
>
> My initial thought is to generate some unique id that makes it
> possible to merge features that already are in the database with the
> ones provided by XML but before we over engineer something it would be
> nice to hear your two cents =)

My first reaction is that airspace does not belong in OSM. Airspace is
3D, with height AGL being important. That overlays what ever is on the
ground and will cause confusion. I would store those data separately and
combine them with OSM data only when rendered. Other aeronautical stuff
that is actually on the ground, for example VOR beacons, and certainly
airfields will fit into OSM nicely.

The idea of updating an import with another, later import is mentioned
from time to time and never, in my experience, fulfilled.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly