[OSM-dev] Willing to apply " Improve / Create Simple Android OSM editor" GSOC 2012 project

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 20:03:05 GMT 2012

Hi,
I am glad you are managing to get started with editing OSM data.
To work on an editor you will need to understand the OSM data structure
(the data is transferred as XML files)  - have a look at the OSM wiki to
understand the xml file format.

I also added some notes to the GSoC project ideas page on the sort of
things I will be looking for in a good application for the idea entitled
"OSM Application for Android" - those comments are equally valid for the
Android Editor idea, so I would suggest having a look those - the main
thing is to look at what is already in existence and decide what your
project will do differently.

I personally will be much keener to support a proposal that is building on
existing work than starting from scratch.

Hope that helps.

Graham.

On 17 March 2012 19:41, Janani Nayanathara <jananinayanathara at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thank you very much for your kind responces.
> As you toold, I made an account and did some edits to the map in
>  my neighborhood. OpenStreetMap editor is a really great and interesting
> thing. I think I will be very joyful to work with OSM. I wrote a blog post
> to inform the other people who are not aware of OSM
> http://jananiswebblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/test-1.html I also have the
> experience of using software like "ArcGIS" and "ILWIS". but this is so much
> interesting...
>
> Now I am trying the command line tools in OSM.
>
> can anyone tell me, what are the other things I should study?
>
> Thank you very much.
>

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 7:03 AM, Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Janani Nayanathara
>> <jananinayanathara at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > hi,
>> > I am Janani Nayanathara from Uva Wellassa University, Sri Lanka.
>> > I am interested in " Improve / Create Simple Android OSM editor" project
>> > because I am interested in dealing with maps. I want to know what are
>> the
>> > subject areas I should refer before applying in order to be familiar
>> > with OpenStreetMap.
>>
>> Great to hear this, I'm particularly interested in seeing an improved
>> Android app. After first doing what Ian suggested, check out all the
>> existing apps:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Android#OpenStreetMap_editing_features
>>
>> Personally I don't think robust editing (e.g. Vespucci) really works
>> on Android phones (but might work on tablets), but I'd like to see a
>> much improved OSMTracker. Namely adding vector background support
>> (e.g. what OsmAnd has) to see what data already exists, uploading
>> tracks directly to OSM, saving OSM.XML files for later editing in JOSM
>> (by saving proper tags instead of just notes in a GPX file), and more.
>> But definitely get more familiar with OSM in general first.
>>
>> -Josh
>>

> --
> --Best Regards,
> Janani Nayanathara,