[OSM-dev] Timestamp in PBF files

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Nov 21 11:01:41 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 11/21/2012 11:50 AM, marqqs at gmx.eu wrote:
>> It should have a planet URI (or a planet URI and a list of mirrors) of
>> what planet it corresponds to. That way a user merely needs to say
>> 'update planet' and everything else can be automated.
>
> Please don't. These data aren't necessary. Same applies to sequence numbers.
>
> Since a year or so planet files can be updated by a single "update" command. This command first determines the age of the old file, then it downloads all needed planet change files,

... by making hard-coded assumptions about where to get them from, and
that's precisely what Scott meant. After all, there might be other
projects using the OSM toolchain (e.g. fosm.org) and they publish their
own diffs and might publish their own PBF files, and if you use their
PBF file and try to update that from some openstreetmap.org URL that
won't work.

So if you really want to be able update the file without relying on some
out-of-band knowledge ("I downloaded this file from Geofabrik and I
happen to know that they use openstreetmap.org as their data source"),
then you would need the URI in the file.

The same if someone were to operate an OSM mirror and publish their own
diffs, and you might choose to synchronize with them rather than with
openstreetmap.org - even here, what the mirror publishes in a diff with
the time stamp X is not necessarily identical with what OSM publishes in
a diff with the same time stamp, and knowledge about where to update the
file from would be essential.

Bye
Frederik