[OSM-dev] User activity stream - progress update

Paweł Paprota ppawel at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 2 16:22:24 BST 2012

Hi again,

Just a small update... Tobias' message from the talk@ list made me
rethink some stuff about the activity server. I also came up with
another potential feature - activity stream for given location/bounding
box.

I think that all this affects how activities are stored in the server.
While CouchDB is a great tool and I'm happy that I decided to play with
it and learn this new paradigm, I just can't see that it can fulfill new
requirements. There is some support for GIS stuff but it's by no means
of production quality and I don't want to go into experimental
technologies.

I just can't see how CouchDB views and map/reduce functions can be
written to support bounding box queries and stuff like that.

So I'm thinking about alternative storage options, most likely I will
decide on Postgres+PostGIS with a simple schema for activities but of
course I'm open to discussing this if anyone is interested.

Paweł