[OSM-dev] Hello World

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 00:19:02 BST 2012

Mikel Maron wrote
>> * Create a new map style intended to be the default face of OSM, but
leave the current OSM.org Mapnik style as-is. It works beautifully as an
editor's basemap due to the dense inclusion of
>> all data. Keep it, but add a new one that's for non-editors to look at.

My suggestion would be for osmf to provide two main styles. An improved
version of the current style for mappers and a vector tile layer for use
with client side rendering like e.g. KothicJS. These two styles would be
different enough to imho warrant the extra infrastructure needed, while
still fitting the description of osmf's main objective. For the client side
rendering one can then offer as many different styles as one likes.

For non-editor style bitmap maps I think it is probably for now better to
rely on third party renders in order to not stretch the infrastructure too
thinly.

For inclusion of third party styles on osm.org the procedures are listed
under
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Strategic_working_group/New_Tile_Layer_Guidelines

Mikel Maron wrote
> I'll add here, internationalization of tiles would be a key development.
> Especially with some of the recent edit wars Korea/Japan/China over island
> names and possession.

Wikimedia Germany is currently funding a project to develop improved
internationalized maps in all of the 200+ languages of Wikipedia. So
hopefully we will see some progress on this in not too long a future.

There is also already the current batch of internationalised maps (
http://toolserver.org/~osm/locale/ ), although the current version scales
poorly and so its performance is somewhat problematic.

Kai