[OSM-dev] Notes - OSM improvements BoF at SOTM PDX

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 22:06:49 BST 2012

On 17 October 2012 05:26, Roland Olbricht <roland.olbricht at gmx.de> wrote:

> It has roughly the same importance than the main API

The OSMF Operations Working Group classify the planet.osm.org feeds at
the same (highest) level of importance to the project already. It's
absolutely core.

> On the other hand, for somebody who is not yet familiar with the OSM data
> format (XML, PBF or both), the planet.osm.org is unlikely to be useful, so
> both are services with quite distinct audiences.

I find it hard to argue that giving someone a bbox-extract from the
website, a regional extract from geofabrik or the whole planet file
are distinct from one another in any meaningful way beyond size. An
integrated approach seems more logical.

Cheers,
Andy