[OSM-dev] New proposed directory layout for planet.openstreetmap.org

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Wed Sep 5 17:13:00 BST 2012

Excellent moment to do this overhaul.
I would suggest keeping it even cleaner adding an /extra (or similar)
directory to hold the gps, full history, users_agreed and other stuff
that is either not planet data or is not published regularly.
Also, maybe add a /changesets directory to hold the
changesets-YYMMDD.osm.bz2 files.
For the /planet/osm and /planet/pbf directories, I suggest one
directory for each year (including current). And have a symlink to the
most recent planet in the base directory.
Lastly, from my narrow POV, we could do away with the XML full planet
altogether. For smaller regions it makes sense, but if you want to
process that much data you should not be looking at XML anyway.

Martijn

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:
> I would like to propose changing the directory layout of
> planet.openstreetmap.org with the ODbL switch. The current directory layout
> has grown rather than being planned. With the new content being under a
> different license it is a good idea to re-arrange the files to make it clear
> where content is under the old license and while doing so I believe it is a
> good idea to use a different directory layout.
>
> Proposed layout:
> /planet               Parent directory for planet files
> /planet/osm           Planet files as .osm.bz2
> /planet/pbf           Planet files as .pbf
> /replication          Replication files
> /replication/minute   Minutely replication diffs
> /replication/hour     Hourly replication diffs
> /replication/day      Daily replication diffs
> /full-experimental    Full history dumps
> /users_agreed         Users agreed
> /gps                  GPS dumps
> /cc-by-sa             Old CC BY-SA content

martijn van exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com