[OSM-dev] New proposed directory layout for planet.openstreetmap.org

yvecai yvecai at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 22:43:44 BST 2012

On 09/05/2012 09:57 PM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> Agreed, but most of what you would want to do with grep is possible
> with other tools like osmosis, osmconvert and osmfilter that work much
> faster on pbf and o5m files.
Maybe some people out there like GNU tools ;-)
> Also, how much is a 500GB (or however big it is unpacked) human
> readable file really worth?
Not much, I agree.
However on a personal point of view I will take the opportunity to
restart maintaining a local planet file and ski pistes extract up to
date when odbl planets will be released, and I had not planned to spent
some time to rebuilt my scripts around .pbf format.
If getting rid of XML make sense, then it should be advertised some time
in advance, and can be treated as a separate matter.

Yves