[OSM-dev] Coastline polylines to land polygons

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Sat Sep 15 23:02:44 BST 2012

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 12:24:01PM +0200, Sandor Seres wrote:
> As I can see this is a frequently discussed subject. The interest for the
> subject is especially high when doing streaming based mapping. I am one of
> these and doing the coastline-to-land conversion process frequently. So,
> let me allow a few related notes.

How do you do this conversion? Are you using the coastcheck tool or OSMCoastline
or something else? Both don't do the smoothing/data reduction you describe, so
there must be something else. I'd be interested in how you do that part, because
its not so easy to do polygon generalization without introducing geometry
errors.

Jochen