[OSM-dev] Switch osm2pgsql to 64 bit mode

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 22:21:48 BST 2012

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM,  <marqqs at gmx.eu> wrote:
> Hello Kai,
>
>> I have updated the package for 10.04 as well now. It will take another
>> couple of hours though to propagate through the system.
>
> Thank you! Did you update just your repository (ppa:kakrueger/openstreetmap) or is the new version now available via Ubuntu standard packet sources? I'm a bit confused now because of this edit in OSM Wiki:

I only updated my PPA repository and am not involved with the
"official" packages of either debian or ubuntu. As far as I am aware,
they remain outdated.

The packages of Ubuntu 12.04 remain completely outdated at version
"0.70.5+r25090". r25090 of the svn was from January 2011. Ubuntu 12.10
beta and Debian sid are at version "0.80.0-r27899"  which corresponds
to about February 2012.

I did contact the debian maintainer a while ago, to try and get more
of the rendering stack into the official repositories, including
mod_tile and renderd. But the current set of packages got rejected as
they contain "too much magic" (in the form of setup scripts) which
they do. Somehow we never followed up on things to get them compliant
with the debian packaging rules.

It would be good though to get more OSM related packages into Ubuntu,
so that people don't always have to compile things and need lengthy
(and usually outdated) tutorials to get things working.

It might already help to move the packages out of my personal PPA into
an "official" osm repository.