[OSM-dev] A OSM error correction model. Comments, suggestions?

Sandor Seres sandors39 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 11:41:57 BST 2012

There are many of us doing OSM source data based mapping, routing,
navigation and similar activities. Although we are on the user side (and
often stamped as “passive members”) we are those exposing the enthusiastic
work of many, many active members/editors to the public. For this work we
frequently download the source data in certain form to update our local
data source versions. Now, during this update procedure, we inevitably
meet/detect many, many (thousands and thousands) errors that we try to
correct/repair. Although the error notion here (versus correct) is prone to
subjective factors, yet we have certain common feelings about them. For
example, while a wrong road connection or a wrong roundabout is irrelevant
for a raster mapping model, it may be decisive for a
line-following/routing/navigation system or for a vector based mapping
(service, transmission, rendering).  So, the subject:

If we already have detected so many errors, would it be of interest to
expose them on an easy accessible place and in an easily
understandable/visual form to the forum of active editors?

I believe in this way the local people/editors familiar with the local RW
situation, could easily do the most correct judgment and correction. I also
believe that the model is rather general and valid for many (if not for
all) OSM object classes. Also, this type of corrections could radically
improve the source data quality and save lots of development efforts and
that is, of course, in our common interest.

Based on some protocols from my frequently repeated data-preparation phase,
I made a white paper “OSM_DataErrorReduction_Model” with more details and
arguments. If interested, you can find it here:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6qGm3k2qWHqWWdCTzMydVU2SEU

The idea/motivation for the paper (though in bullets format), and for this
mail, was triggered by frequently asked questions on the help forum related
to the routing/navigation errors.

Thanks for your attention.