[OSM-dev] Coastline, lakes, rivers

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Tue Apr 16 11:27:24 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 16 April 2013, Pieren wrote:

> I'm not sure that the "New tagging" of riverbanks has been really
> adopted, excepted by the 16 who approved it on the wiki (is it in
> editors presets ?).

Actually the situation is even worse - current practice in tagging water
areas is a wild mix of applying waterway=riverbank and/or natural=water
to multipolygons, member ways and individual ways not part of a
multipolygon.  I doubt this is going to change as long as the common
map render style simply renders everything with either of these tags in
plain blue.  Cases like the linked one are situations where even this
basic handling fails (mostly due to broken multipolygons or inner rings
tagged waterway=riverbank)  And that's only for the water areas - i
will refrain from getting into the water line features here.

My conclusion on this matter is that the only thing you can currently do
with the OSM water data is to render it - or in other words: treat it
as mere information 'here is water'.  And even that can be unreliable
since intermittent=yes/water=intermittent are not consistently applied
(not astonishing considering they are not rendered either).  All
information beyond that can - if at all - only be relied on locally if
consistency has been maintained by local mappers or if most of the data
is based on a well structured import.

Greetings,

Christoph

--