[OSM-dev] The new link on the OSM map

Andy Street mail at andystreet.me.uk
Thu Aug 8 15:46:56 UTC 2013

On Thu, 8 Aug 2013 07:33:40 -0700 (PDT)
NopMap <ekkehart at gmx.de> wrote:

> tmcw wrote
> > Is it really a terrible weight to update JOSM to recognize the new
> > format?
>
> It is not just about JOSM, the change breaks *every application, web
> service or browser plugin* that creates a reference to the osm main
> page or that could parse an OSM url.

Anything that creates a link should be unaffected as the old style URLs
still work. It is only systems that parse URLs that will require
updating and it should be an easy fix for most of them. As far as I
recall we came through the introduction of short links in 2009 without
catastrophic repercussions so I can't see how this would be all that
different.

Regards,

Andy