[OSM-dev] Accessing postgis on the dev server

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Dec 9 11:46:11 UTC 2013

On 09/12/13 11:17, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

>  >You should keep in mind the dev server (errol), both for running
>  >whatever you want to and when planning additional resources if you need
>  >them. You can find information on the dev server at
>  >http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Using_the_dev_server
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Using_the_dev_server>.
>
> I've found I still have an account on the dev server.
>
> However, how do I login to the postgres database?

If you had read the page that Paul referred you to then you would have
found out:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Using_the_dev_server#Databases

> I've tried the normal means of logging into the DB:
>
> psql -U gis gis
>
> and that doesn't work (failed authentication): do I need a password?

Well I think your main problem here is assuming that there is an
existing database that you just need to connect to.

I can give you access to postgres, and you will then be able to create
databases for yourself (though if you need postgis in them you'll have
to ask me to add that).

Obviously if you use too much resource then we may ask you to cut back.

Keep in mind though that the dev server is intended for experimentation
and development, not for running production services.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/