[OSM-dev] Reverts from the woodpeck_repair account

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jan 2 19:56:30 GMT 2013

Hi,

On 02.01.2013 18:28, Paweł Paprota wrote:
> I believe there is a middle ground between OSM's "free for all, do what
> you want, we will worry afterwards" approach and Wikipedia's "you can do
> X only after requesting permission Y from working group Z".

There was the idea of introducting a "bot flag" for an account, and then
require that you absolutely must have the bot flag for any sort of mass
edit (something that might even be technically enforced).

Requiring a different type of account would at last make sure that
people understand that mass edits are an activity different from normal
edits, and it would automatically put these edits under more scrutiny.

How you *get* the bot flag would have to be subject of a different
discussion; it could be that you can simply give yourself this flag
(possibly going through a web page where you have to click on "yes, I
confirm that I have read and understood the guidelines..."). It could
also be that you get the flag only after enough people have agreed, or
after some working group has rubber-stamped your plans, or whatever.

Bye
Frederik