[OSM-dev] Leaflet.EditInOSM

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Mon Jan 28 16:39:30 GMT 2013

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 03:40:35PM +0000, Andy Allan wrote:
> On 28 January 2013 14:20, Yohan Boniface <yohanboniface at free.fr> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > A short mail to introduce the little plugin Leaflet.EditInOSM [1], which add
> > a control in Leaflet with links to edit the current view in JOSM, Potlatch
> > or iD.
> > Demo here: http://yohanboniface.github.com/Leaflet.EditInOSM/
>
> Cool!
>
> In general I prefer directing people towards openstreetmap.org/edit ,
> rather than having a bunch of options or linking to instances/remote
> control directly. The advantage of openstreetmap.org/edit is that the
> user will have already chosen their favourite editor, and so you only
> need one button. Additionally it's a better user experience when a new
> user hasn't yet signed up to openstreetmap - it reduces confusion with
> the JOSM / Merkartor remote control link not working, for example. And
> it lets those who still prefer p1 to stick with it! :-)
>
> Obviously many other websites continue to have multiple links, so
> you're not alone in making that decision. But as the number of editors
> grows, and as there are plenty of people who don't use the most
> popular (n) editors, I think that standardising on the
> openstreetmap.org/edit approach is the better one.

That approach might work for in-browser editors, but I don't want to go to
a different web page first before my JOSM is opened at the right place. I
want to stay in the context of the web page where I am opening the editor
from.

Maybe we could make the editor setting for a user available through an API on
osm.org, then every site can fetch this setting and directly do the right
thing.

Well, actually it is not that easy. I am almost never logged in to the main OSM
site. About the only reason I log onto the site is to use the editor. But not
my actual preferred editor (which is JOSM). I have set my preferred editor to
Potlatch 1, because that is the easiest way to still access Potlatch 1, which
I don't need that often, but I still need it for one thing, namely reviving
deleted objects. So I don't actually want this "preferred" editor at all most
of the time...

Jochen