[OSM-dev] Leaflet.EditInOSM

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 16:56:19 GMT 2013

On 28 January 2013 16:39, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:

> That approach might work for in-browser editors, but I don't want to go to
> a different web page first before my JOSM is opened at the right place. I
> want to stay in the context of the web page where I am opening the editor
> from.

Fair enough.

> Maybe we could make the editor setting for a user available through an API on
> osm.org, then every site can fetch this setting and directly do the right
> thing.

That's a good idea - but how would that work for Yohan's example?
You'd need to give his website your username or something similar,
right?

> Well, actually it is not that easy. I am almost never logged in to the main OSM
> site. About the only reason I log onto the site is to use the editor. But not
> my actual preferred editor (which is JOSM). I have set my preferred editor to
> Potlatch 1, because that is the easiest way to still access Potlatch 1, which
> I don't need that often, but I still need it for one thing, namely reviving
> deleted objects. So I don't actually want this "preferred" editor at all most
> of the time...

Well, I can think of a few bugs that need solving, going by your
explanation! Staying logged in for longer, accessing p1 more easily
when duty calls, implemented deleted map calls in the API, then
implemented the undo in other editors, etc.

I'd say the only showstopper that you describe above is that you want
to stay on the same page when triggering the remote control plugin.
Would it work if openstreetmap.org/edit responds with a 30x code
(307?) pointing to the remote control url? Or would your browser still
show an empty page?

Cheers,
Andy