[OSM-dev] GraphHopper Maps 0.1

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 05:48:47 UTC 2013

NopMap wrote

> Kai Krueger wrote
>> I was curious to see how it compares in speed and quality of calculated
>> routes to the other engines, so I took the liberty to add it to
>> http://apmon.dev.openstreetmap.org/routing
> I took the liberty of comparing the result on that page to the direct
> call. How realistic are the results?
>
> If I run a route e.g. from Heroldsberg to Biograd, I get greatly different
> times:
>
> http://apmon.dev.openstreetmap.org/routing: 9,5s
> directly on http://graphhopper.com/maps/:  0.017s
>
> So it seems that the result of the compare page is off by a factor of more
> than 500 times. Why?
>
> bye, Nop

The actual requests get sent from the server backend on the osm dev server
(rails app) and are then transcoded from json to kml before getting passed
on to the user. Unfortunately, the dev servers rails system seems to be
incredibly slow! Even just simply loading the pages takes a long time.

Same thing with OSRM and the other routing backends, which also feel very
slow on that page. Sorry, I should have said, that speed comparisons aren't
realistic. But never-the-less, comparing the output between the routers
should give a valid picture of how they behave.

Kai