[OSM-dev] GSoC'13 OpenSurveyor project

Pavel Melnikov positron96 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 08:01:28 UTC 2013

Hello there everyone!
As a student of this year's Google Summer of code I want to officially say
hello to dev list members. In this first email I'm introducing my project.
It's current name is OpenSurveyor and it is aimed at creating a mobile
(smartphone/tablet) data collection application specifically designed for
OSM purposes.
The feature list includes following major elements, not found in other
applications (or not comfortable enough to be used widely):

   - Walknig papers on the phone/tablet - a walking papers atlas without
   any need to print and scan anything. Just draw all you want on screen
   (stylus should be especially useful, but finger should work too), and it
   will then be transferred into JOSM.
   - All kinds of map markers - text, voice, photos, some predefined osm
   types.
   - Ability to work without GPS and Internet. If you have a Garmin or
   other device that can record tracks for days - let it do its job and save
   yourself some hours of battery life on the phone. The markers will be
   time-based and you could map them on PC according to timings.
   - Subsecond presicion of timestamps. Standard GPX timestamp is 1 sec
   which is not enough sometimes (will be useful when driving a car). Special
   data format will elliminate this shortcoming.

I've already created a wiki page for the project:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2013/OpenSurveyorwhere
additional information could be found (not that much at the moment)