[OSM-dev] Expiring Tiled OSM Data

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 15:25:18 UTC 2013

Hi List,

I'm in the process of building a tiled OSM data service to help shed read
load off the main API server(s).

The last bit of work before I can call it complete is to correctly expire
tiles based on the minutely diffs. The naive and incorrect approach would
be to expire based on node changes. This ignores changes to way and
relation tags, for example.

osm2pgsql's expired tiles list isn't quite right because I don't need to
know what tiles intersect with changed geometries, I only need to know what
data has changed.

Any thoughts on how to do this correctly and efficiently?