[OSM-dev] disk size for planet osm import into PostGIS (on an SSD)?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jun 27 07:50:36 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 06/27/2013 09:33 AM, Akos Maroy wrote:
> I'd like to inquire about the estimated disk size needed to import the
> planet osm file into PostGIS?

320 GB on a machine I am running.

> /usr/local/bin/osm2pgsql -d osm_world -s -C 5800 --hstore-all -K -v -G
> -m  planet-130620.osm.bz2

I use --flat-nodes which saves more than 50 GB and is quicker. I don't
use -K, and I don't use --hstore-all either; both will certainly blow up
the space needed. I recommend using a shape file for coastlines like
everyone else does, and to have a look at --hstore-match-only (you
really don't need stuff *twice* in your database) and use a stripped
style.xml that ensures you don't store tons and tons of "note" and
"source" tags and other import side products. You don't want to burden
your SSD with tags like "gnis:Class", "NHD:FType", "tiger:PCICBSA", or
"canvec:UUID" ;)

Bye
Frederik