[OSM-dev] Power tagging scheme complexity

François Lacombe francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu
Sun Mar 10 16:42:11 UTC 2013

Hi the list,

Some mappers and I try to refine, in a sustainable way, some items of the
power tagging scheme.
Currently, the whole thing is still under the proposal or RFC state and
some questions need the opinion of tools developers to be known.

Especially on the power=cable vs power=line, I propose to deprecate all
other values of power=* excepting power=line to describe power lines (air,
underground, undersea,...) and to use location=*.
An underground power line would be described with power=line +
location=underground instead of power=cable.
Some members argue it would cause rendering issues since many components of
the tool chain are based upon the power=* value distinguishing.

With this new way of thinking, power=line won't be used any more to make
difference between visible and non visible stuff.

Will it cause heavy load of work to conform tools to that kind of rules?
I encourage you to get involved in the discussions here :
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:power%3Dcable
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Power_transmission_refinement

I would like to ask the same question for the substation : no distinguish
on power=sub_station, power=transformer, etc... any more but
power=substation and voltage / type / location value to best describe each
situation.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Substation_refinement#Substation

Many thanks in advance for commenting.

Regards.