[OSM-dev] Seeking advice for OSM based routing application

Matt Hoover the.one.eleven at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 08:26:07 UTC 2013

> Well options 2 and 4 are absolutely not feasible, assuming you are
> talking about using the osm.org map query API. The OSM API is for
> editing the map only, not for clients to query for use in some 3rd
> party service. Of course some small non-editing related calls get
> through but if you start querying a lot of data you will get blocked
> pretty quickly. For non edit related querying there are other services
> like jxapi or overpass. But even then, this does not sound like the
> best idea.

Yeah, I was considering using an XAPI interface, but honestly I didn't
realize that was the only way allowable... I was just leaning that way
because of the larger area coverage allowed on a request.  But yeah I agree
neither of these ideas are ideal.

> The specific example you linked to does seem very odd. It does look
> like the MapQuest Open routing service behaves correctly thought:
> http://mapq.st/1067Po9

Good find.  I had skipped over mapquest open earlier for some reason, and
you're right it does work on that one.  However I found some other route
attempts that would not work on mapquest but WOULD work on YOURS.  How
confusing.  See image here if you're curious.
http://i.imgur.com/Rv0UNpa.jpg
Both attempts in that image work on BRouter, but it doesn't have a public
API, and it is really weird about starting the route far ahead of (or
behind) the actual point you give it (though at least still on the same
path).

> Looking on a couple of other routing services, the OSRM demo is set
> for cars only so it won't even try to go on the highway=path. No clue
> where the cloudmade router's head is. It will obviously use
> highway=path but for some reason it is refusing to transition to it
> right there. I can't figure out why either.

Thanks for your input anyway.  I have the mapquest one working in my app
already... was very easy to set up.  Just doesn't work for half the routes
I want it to.  Considering having my application make both a mapquest open
AND a YOURS request, and then internally judge which one is better and
present that to the user.