[OSM-dev] mod_tile in other projections?

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 04:44:15 UTC 2013

On 03/07/2013 08:36 AM, Jason Lee wrote:
> Hi all,
> It might seem an odd question but I'll give it a shot - would
> mod_tile/renderd support the dynamic generation of map tiles in a map
> projection other than web mercator? If not, then would it be
> possible/how difficult would it be to modify the code to support it?
In case you are still interested, I have now refactored the code a bit
to make it easier to support different projections. Supporting new
projections now should be as simple as adding 6 numbers, (the boundaries
in projected coordinates and the map aspect ratio). For the moment you
still need to recompile renderd after changing / adding those numbers,
but in the future that might change.

At the moment it supports spherical mercator and plate carree out of the
box and they can be mixed in the same rendering server. You configure
those by changing the srs of the mapnik style sheet to the appropriate
values.

Also it is now possible to configure the size of the tiles in
renderd.conf and it is no longer hard coded to be 256 px. (You still
need to change the mapnik stylesheet for the appropriate PPI though).

Kai