[OSM-dev] announcing a new mailinglist tile-serving

Bernard Fouché bernard.fouche at kuantic.com
Thu Mar 28 08:28:53 UTC 2013

Le 27/03/2013 20:23, Kai Krueger a écrit :
> Hello everyone,
>
> I would like to announce a new OSM mailinglist called tile-serving [1]
> to discuss and aid the development of the OSM tile serving infrastructure.
>
> Its purpose is modelled after the rails-dev, geocoding or osrm
> mailinglists that already exist.
>
> One of its primary purposes is to collate all of the various bug
> reporting sources (like trac and github) and ensure that bug reports
> get sufficient exposure to the developers to try and resolve the
> reported issues in a timely manor. At the moment it feels like bug
> reports don't get the necessary attention.
>
> It is also a place to discuss the development and feature requests as
> well as documentation of those components, although the wider issues
> might still be discussed on dev.
>
> In light of the recent emails, perhaps one of the first things one
> could talk about is to try and set up a release process for mod_tile /
> renderd / tirex / osm2pgsl. So it would be great if all the developers
> of these components could sign up to the new mailing list.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kai
Hi Kai,

as a simple user of Open Street Map, Nominatim is needed as much as tile
rendering. Currently I (stupidly?) have osm2pgqsl to run twice, once for
Nominatim, once for Mapnik. Maybe a single run is possible?

I found Nominatim setup easier than tile rendering since there is no
http setup, no live program like Tirex to interface and the setup script
of Nominatim takes care of building symlinks from the www location to
Nominatim code, there is no need for instance to have virtual host data
pointing to a tirex config which can work correctly only if some
symlinks are correctly set in /var/[lib][run].

Hence starting with  Nominatim, before considering tile rendering,
allowed me to know that I had something functional and that I could
focus on tile rendering (in some way Nominatim validated the
postgres/postgis setup).

   Bernard