[OSM-dev] mod_tile stable version ?

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Thu Mar 28 14:49:35 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 07:36:56AM -0700, Kai Krueger wrote:
> > As there is no official maintainer I can only do two things keep it for me
> > or just commit it. This is not a big risk in this case, but I would rather
> > like to ask for an OK first, but whoom should I ask?
>
> If it isn't a big risk patch, then just commit it.
>
> This is the reason I have always been somewhat opposed to moving from svn to
> git.
>
> In the osm SVN repository pretty much everyone had commit rights. Therefore,
> if no one stepped up to be the "official maintainer", one could just commit
> ones patches directly and everyone using the software could benefit from it.
>
> In git, despite being distributed you can't really do that (unless everyone
> has push rights). Although everyone can create a new git repository and
> commit their patches to it and technically there is no upstream or official
> repository anymore, socially that doesn't work. It just becomes even more
> confusing to the user of a software if there are tens of different
> repositories they could potentially pull from, each with a different set of
> patches. From a usability point of view, there needs to be a single official
> repository.

Actually I think it is exactly the other way around. Because anybody can
commit, nobody feels responsible. If you have your own git branch, at least
you can feel responsible for it. Ideally there is one person or a group of
people who take ownership of a project. If they don't do their job properly,
others can jump in and take over. git allows this to happen relatively easily.
Today if somebody posts a bug on Tirex somewhere, it is easy for me to ignore.
It would not be so easy if this happens in "my repository".

Yes, the "git system" has the drawback that it can be difficult to figure
out where the "right" repository is. But I think that price is worth paying
not to have a system with distributed ownership where nobody feels responsible.

Jochen