[OSM-dev] announcing a new mailinglist tile-serving

Bernard Fouché bernard.fouche at kuantic.com
Thu Mar 28 17:39:52 UTC 2013

Le 28/03/2013 17:39, Jochen Topf a écrit :
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 04:50:13PM +0100, Simone Cortesi wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:
>>> Tirex is only a replacement for renderd, unfortunately it still needs mod_tile.
>> s/mod_tile/renderd in my question.
>>
>> is there a simple way/tutorial to replace renderd with tirex?
> Nothing simple about running a tile server. :-)
>
> Three years ago I wrote this: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tirex/Renderd
> Don't know how helpful it is today.
>
> Jochen
It was, however, at least on F 18:

- you need /var/lib/tirex, owned by tirex user.

- you need /var/run/tirex, owned by tirex user. However /var/run is
cleanup at each reboot on F18 so this dir must be rebuilt at each boot.

- tirex renders tile for a map named 'default', hence you need to have
for instance /var/lib/tirex/tiles/default. Probably the name 'default'
can be changed somewhere.

- tirex needs two processes 'tirex-master' and 'tirex-backend-manager':
you have to figure how to start them when the system boots. Both scripts
support '-d' (debug) which is very handy to understand where it fails.

- these two processes refuses to run as root. Since you must be root to
make /var/run/tirex, you expect to write a script that runs as root to
make the directory and  then uses 'sudo' to run the tirex processes.
sudo will complain about being run without a tty, change /etc/sudoers to
allow tirex commands to be run without 'requiretty' :-)

- if ever tirex complains about an 'internal renderer error', it can
come from fonts not found by mapnik. Fonts location is declared into
/etc/tirex/renderer/mapnik.conf. If using the name 'default' for the
map, tiles location must be specified in
/etc/tirex/renderer/mapnik/default.conf, as the location of the osm.xml
file, the name of the map ('name=default') and the zoom levels.

I still load /etc/renderd.conf from the virtual-host files
('LoadTileConfig /etc/renderd.conf") but I don't know if this is useful
(I also have "ModTileRenderdSocketName /var/lib/tirex/modtile.sock"),
the only statements in my renderd.conf are 'num_threads', 'tile_dir'
(probably useless since it does not end with 'default') and URI.

   Bernard