[OSM-dev] Fixing the history tab

Paweł Paprota ppawel at fastmail.fm
Fri May 3 05:02:13 UTC 2013

IMHO people really should put their minds to fixing *the* problem of
"Querying all changesets that actually modified data in an arbitrary
bounding box of the world and displaying them in reverse chronological
order is computationally expensive" instead of coming up with yet
another half way solution.

It looks nice as such tools often do but does not solve the problem
properly - why not use the time to help out with OWL / New History Tab
instead of starting another project from scratch?

Anyway, let me use this opportunity to give people a quick update about
OWL and the History Tab Beta.

As is painfully obvious from my "Contributions" graphic on Github[1],
I've not been active at all in OSM since late February. Coincidentally,
I started at my new job at that time...

Currently I am on a two-month work trip in Germany with not much free
time but I really miss OSM and OWL development so I plan to get back to
it some time in June when I'm back at home.

When you look at it, there is really not a lot of stuff to be done
before OWL and New History Tab can be rolled out to production. Mainly
there are UI tweaks to be done so it looks nicer - that's why I'm a bit
sad that no one volunteered to help out with JS/CSS - it's the easy part
of the project...

On the backend side (OWL), there is support for relation to be added
which is a gigantic challenge but I think this could be scheduled for 2.0...

In any case, please consider helping out with the project, especially
the frontend side, as it is not that far from being in
potentially-mergable-state.

[1] https://github.com/ppawel

Paweł