[OSM-dev] Using Google Street View Player with my own panoramic images

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri May 17 11:48:21 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 7:33 AM, Tac Tacelosky <tacman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can any legal experts help me out?  I'm using Google's Street View player
> to look at panoramic images that I've taken, and would now like to update
> the OSM database to reflect what I see (stores, fire hydrants, etc.)
>
> The Street View Player is not  explicitly spelled out in the terms of
> service:
>
> http://www.google.com/intl/en-US_US/help/terms_maps.html
>
> Obviously, we can't use Google Street Views themselves (the images) nor
> the map data, so would there be any problem using the player to make a
> local database from non-Google panoramic images?  In particular, under
>
> *1. Use of the Products*. Google grants you a non-exclusive,
> non-transferable license to access the Google Maps service, to download and
> use the Google Earth software and service, and to access the Content (as
> defined below) within the Products and according to the Terms.
>
> *2. Restrictions on Use*. ...
> (g) use the Products to create a database of places or other local
> listings information.
>
> "Products" seem to refer to the map contents, not the player to view
> images.  But wanted to run it by someone with more expertise before I start
> making OSM edits based on pictures I've taken being viewed in Google's
> Street View Player.
>
> KRPano makes a panoramic image viewer, but needs WebGL to run as HTML5,
> otherwise it uses Flash, which I'd prefer to avoid.  Any other suggestions
> on an alternative player, should it be necessary?

Dear Tac,

What did Google say when you asked them?  And what did your lawyer say?

That quote from 2(g) seems pretty clear. ~"Don't do it."  If you want to
argue that, ~"Don't do it" doesn't apply because of a special condition in
your case; well, then you are making that argument.  But that would be an
argument.  Perhaps a legal argument.  Perhaps an expensive legal argument.
:-)

>From an abundance of caution, I'd not use the Google software for the
purposes of OpenStreetMap, without the consent of Google (and OSMF).  But
that's me.  So why don't you ask them?

If I remember correctly, several OpenStreetMap contributors have built
their own similar camera rigs in past.  Why not join your experiences with
theirs, contribute to their Open Source efforts and build a completely open
stack?  You could still sell your hardware into that market after helping
to launch that market with an open stack.