[OSM-dev] visual timestamp from ways

Jaak Laineste jaak.laineste at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 14:21:46 UTC 2013

Hello,

I have from time-to-time problem that I don't know how old is a particular
tile service, even for my own ones I'm not sure if update is working
properly or not. For example, are Cloudmade and MapQuest tiles updated?
Idea: add visible timestamp ("watermark", "microprint") using fake ways to
the global map, so it would be rendered with more or less any possible
layout, but only if you know from where to look for it. Maybe near null
island. Or my home.

Technically, I'd have a robot which updates timestamp in OSM API every
hour, and draws GMT date and time using usual ways with highway=residential
tag, so to see it you just zoom in to specific place.

Questions: has anyone done this, or something even better? Any objections ?

--
Jaak