[OSM-dev] Creating new way using api calls

amrit karmacharya amrit.im at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 14:10:59 UTC 2013

This is not an import,

KathmanduLivingLabs is doing a exposure survey of all buildings in
Kathmandu (the capital of Nepal and the Most Earthquake Vulnerable city).
In the core areas, the buildings are much compact to be identified from
satellite imagery. So our surveyors will take field papers and digitize
buildings over it then transfer to osm using josm. they will collect other
information using formhub. I need to connect the osm and formhub using the
osmid.

The real process does not need to create anything, it will download a way
with given id, then add few new information and then upload. This have
successfully downloaded, changed and uploaded in the dev server using dummy
datas. Now, i want to do some serious work, so for testing i will download
the way from main osm, make the necessary changes and upload to dev server.
Then i can review the work without disturbing the main database. The id,
version, changesets of main server are not same as in dev server, so i
can't do a simple update. Instead, i will download from man server and then
create the same in dev server as creating are modifying are not that
different.

So the question is can we create the nodes and way in one call? or we have
create the nodes first, get their id's and use those id's to create the way
(multiple calls)?