[OSM-dev] Overlapping Attribute Sections per Way

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 24 06:25:50 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-23 22:24, AccessibilityGuide wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have the following requirement for a new software project:
>
> Given a way, for example a hiking route, I'd like to attach some
> attributes to this way. But the attributes should not apply to the
> entire way but only a section of the way. The sections can even
> overlap,
> like multiple layers of metadata per way.
>
> The following example hopefully clarifies  what I mean:
>
> Given a 10km long way, the following attributes should be applied -
> Section [0km - 5km]: Attribute A (Value X)
> - Section [5km - 10km]: Attribute A (Value Y)
> - Section [2km - 8km]: Attribute B (Value F)

Simply put, you have 4 ways:
way 1 (0-2km) with tags A=X
way 2 (2-5km) with tags A=X and B=F
way 3 (5-8km) with tags A=Y and B=F
way 4 (8-10km) tags A=Y

Splitting ways to facilitate tags per section is one of the more basic
features of the OSM datalayout. Common reasons to split ways are
different names or different maximum speeds.

Regards,
Maarten