[OSM-dev] share map - image coordinates not displayed on OSM website

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Oct 25 14:57:12 UTC 2013

James,

   it was me who suggested you take this to the dev list:

On 10/25/2013 08:47 AM, James wrote:
> Is there a way to bring coordinates back for sharing? Ticket already
> raised below.
>
> https://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/5018

In fact the reason I said that was not that I believed we'd find great
ways to bring back the coordinate display on the image export - I
thought that maybe we could help you deal with the problem in another way!

So your issue is this (for those who don't want to go through the trac
discussion):

You want to have a web site where users can generate a large "static
map" image to use in an application of yours. Users would save the image
from their web browser and then load it into the application, manually
telling the application about the coordinates of the image so it can be
displayed correctly.

I was thinking, maybe you can get this done with standard tiles instead
of some kind of exprt/static map interface. For example, see this
minimal OpenLayers example (please do not point your users there, it is
only meant as a temporary demonstration URL):

http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/osm-show-extent.html

It shows the full extent of the map just below it. Maybe you could make
a page like that for your users, and have them take a screenshot of that
map and download it?

Bye
Frederik