[OSM-dev] Nominatim geocoding for Japanese address

Troy Wu troywu at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 21:23:54 UTC 2014

On Apr 9, 2014, at 11:23 AM, Sarah Hoffmann wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 12:52:49AM +0900, Satoshi IIDA wrote:
>>> Japanese address system
>> I made Japanese address structure for OSM, last year.
>> And got consensus between Japanese mappers. also reported in Tagging ML.
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2013-September/014816.html
>
> I rememeber this mail but obviously misunderstood that it is an
> finished proposal. I also cannot find much data that follows the schema.
> Taginfo reports that there are more addr:block_number than addr:blocknumber
> but that might be unrelated.

And then what about other countries?  In Taiwan, there's the idea of main road, alley/subroad, then building identifier.  I'm sure other places will have different address formats.  Someone just mentioned that the best solution is to create a geocoder for each "type" of address?  Is that the trajectory of geocoding for OSM?  To have a per-country/region based geocoder?

And, someone mentioned that Nominatim isn't good in the US?  I'm trying to implement some basic geocoding (all US addresses), and that would be somewhat devastating.  Is this actually the case, before I spend time going down this path?

	--Troy