[OSM-dev] Wiki - VisualEditor

Andreas Goss andig88 at t-online.de
Wed Apr 9 22:36:07 UTC 2014

Am 4/9/14 01:05 , schrieb Tobias Knerr:
> The Visual Editor makes some things easier that aren't that hard in
> the first place, but the integration of advanced features such as
> templates suffers. As templates are used a lot in our wiki, even
> within text paragraphs (e.g. the Key and Tag templates), this is a
> major drawback.
>
> The feature is also officially still in Beta, and I'm not sure how
> well it works with other already installed or desirable extensions.

But just because they aren't that hard to work with doesn't mean it is
convenient or easy for non-tech savvy people.
Bold, cursiuve and h2 are the only formattings I can easily add right
now - different headings, larger/smaller text, lists... all require you
to know how the formatting works. Also even if I understand how
Wikitables work, I still have to look up MediaWiki for the 100% correct
sytax every time, having a button that creates a table within 5 clicks
would encourange people to use such things.

And when it comes to templates it might even make it easier to use some
of them and the ability to look them up might enourage people to use them.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:VisualEditor/User_guide

Andi