[OSM-dev] Chinese spam diaries, an analysis

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Dec 4 11:36:10 UTC 2014

On 03/12/14 16:14, Andy Allan wrote:

> However, spam is an arms race, and I think we might need a different
> long-term approach. I know in the past using 3rd-party spam filtering
> services was too expensive (and not really very OSM-ish either).

The main such system is akmiset and I'd love to use it but (a) it costs
money and (b) to make it most effective we would have to send it things
like email addresses and IP addresses which I figure people may object to.

> Perhaps we need a new set of human content moderators on the site, say
> 40-80 people with a variety of languages between them. We can consider
> grey-listing all accounts - i.e. the first few posts of every account
> is held for review automatically by default, and enable direct posting
> after we're more certain they aren't a spammer.

Once we have a review queue and moderator system then obviously it
becomes trivial to do things like holding posts from new users for
moderation - we need the basic infrastructure first though.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/