[OSM-dev] Switch2OSM tile server: socket bind failure

slu gis slugis3400 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 01:01:53 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have been trying to build my own tile server following the tutorial
at http://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/building-a-tile-server-from-packages/
but I have not been successful. Below are some issues I have been
having.

>From my research, some forums have suggested to edit a file that
resides at /etc/mapnik-osm-data/inc/, but such a folder does not
exist... (solution according to
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=19338 suggests to edit
/etc/mapnik-osm-data/inc/datasource-settings.xml.inc).

I do not have a mapnik-osm-data folder under /etc. However, there is a
folder of name `mapnik-osm-carto-data` containing a file `osm.xml` and
a folder called `symbols` containing  various map icon pngs.

When running `renderd` I get
  ```
  socket bind failed for: /var/run/renderd/renderd.sock
  ```

When running `renderd -f` I get the result below.
  ```
  renderd[4477]: Initialising unix server socket on
/var/run/renderd/renderd.sock
  socket bind failed for: /var/run/renderd/renderd.sock
  ```
  Running `sudo renderd -f` gives the correct message
  ```
  renderd[4492]: Initialising unix server socket on
/var/run/renderd/renderd.sock
  Created server socket 4
  ```
  However, I also get a bunch of Bad connection messages as shown below:

  ```
  renderd[11798]: Loading parameterization function for
  renderd[11798]: Loading parameterization function for
  renderd[11798]: An error occurred while loading the map layer
'default': Postgis Plugin: Bad connection
  Connection string: ' dbname=gis connect_timeout=4'
  encountered during parsing of layer 'landcover' in Layer at line 662
of '/etc/mapnik-osm-carto-data/osm.xml'
  renderd[11798]: An error occurred while loading the map layer
'default': Postgis Plugin: Bad connection
  Connection string: ' dbname=gis connect_timeout=4'
  encountered during parsing of layer 'landcover' in Layer at line 662
of '/etc/mapnik-osm-carto-data/osm.xml'
  renderd[11798]: An error occurred while loading the map layer
'default': Postgis Plugin: Bad connection
  Connection string: ' dbname=gis connect_timeout=4'
  encountered during parsing of layer 'landcover' in Layer at line 662
of '/etc/mapnik-osm-carto-data/osm.xml'
  renderd[11798]: An error occurred while loading the map layer
'default': Postgis Plugin: Bad connection
  Connection string: ' dbname=gis connect_timeout=4'
  encountered during parsing of layer 'landcover' in Layer at line 662
of '/etc/mapnik-osm-carto-data/osm.xml'
  ```

When I navigate to myserver.org/osm/slippymap.html, the tiles are
pink, and when I navigate to myserver.org/osm/0/0/0.png I get a Not
Found message from the server.

Not sure where to proceed from here. Any help or advice would be much
appreciated. Thanks!