[OSM-dev] Release openstreetmap-carto v2.25.0

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Dec 12 23:31:58 UTC 2014

Hi,

   ah, an opportunty to hijack a thread and plug my pet feature:

On 12/12/2014 07:59 PM, SomeoneElse wrote:
> Rather than say "let everyone contribute to the standard map style" why
> not say "let everyone create their own map style" - let a thousand
> flowers bloom!

I think it would be nice if we could somehow be more dynamic in what
layers we support. Currently only world-wide and high-performance
third-party tile layers are eligible for addition to
www.openstreetmap.org, but just like our editors can offer different
aerial imagery layers depending on where you edit, the osm.org map could
also, if you're zoomed in to some place, offer regional tile layers that
only cover a country or even smaller region. The layer switcher could
get an extra selection called "regional layers" and if you click that,
you'd be offered a selection of what is available.

Not that that would solve the question of direction-setting for the
openstreetmap-carto style in any way but it would be really nice to have.

Bye
Frederik