[OSM-dev] tirex and mapnik 3, make deb fails

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Tue Jul 1 11:04:01 UTC 2014

Jan-Benedict Glaw writes:

> On Tue, 2014-07-01 01:58:38 +0200, Stephan Knauss <osm at stephans-server.de> wrote:
>> I try to compile tirex (mapnik backend) against Mapnik 3.
>> changing this line in debian/rules allowed me to ignore the error:
>> dh_shlibdeps --dpkg-shlibdeps-params=--ignore-missing-info
>
> Won't work: A dep is missing and the resulting program will only run
> IFF the user has the lib already installed.

So in my case this is perfectly fine. As I'm installing for a local machine
where mapnik is also build.
Mapnik 3 is not yet released and based on mapnik mailing list advise it's
better compiled directly from git instead of using some (outdated?) nightly
build from a ppd. So no packages available.

The reason of doing a "make deb" instead of "make install" is the update
path.
I once made the mistake in the past and upgraded tirex to a new version to
have access to bugfixes. The "make install" was simply overwriting already
existing configuration files.
Frederik or Jochen recommended using the deb package method for updates as
it should take care for changes in already existing config files.

So I worry a bit about the version information in the package. Is a newer
build automatically recognized as a newer package? Does the build process
create this version information?

Honestly I'm just interested in getting an upgradeable tirex to the new
machine. Learning all this stuff about debian package creation and fix the
tirex build environment is certainly also an interesting topic but not the
task I wanted to do now. For someone experienced in debian packaging it is
certainly just a few minutes to check this and suggest a proper fix to the
build environment.

Stephan