[OSM-dev] Changesets

Michael Maier Michael.Maier at student.tugraz.at
Fri Jul 4 11:09:02 UTC 2014

Hello list,

a friend of mine pointed me to the number of changesets increasing
extraordinary in the last days (from ~14k to more than 100k), I ran a
little investigation on the daily/hourly diffs:

I filtered out changeset numbers in the osc files, sorted and unique'd
them. The actual number of changesets appearing in the diffs did not
increase. But there were a lot of numbers missing in the diffs, so there
must be a lot of empty changesets.

And I found a user with a LOT of empty changesets:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/ettlohw

A Mapper registered a month ago, but with 607,556 changesets - and
increasing.
When picking a random changeset of this user, it shows to be empty:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/23430671
(changeset tags: created_by=Potlatch 2, build=2.3-605-gbec0ea7, version=2.3)

Is this a bug in potlatch?
Why does the API accept empty changesets?

Should I contact the user what the hell he is doing?

Best regards,
Michael

--
Michael Maier, Student of Telematics @ Graz University of Technology