[OSM-dev] strange error message from mod_tile

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Sun Jul 6 23:12:50 UTC 2014

Hi,

answering myself in case others run into the same problem and find it in
the archive.

On 06.07.2014 23:15, Stephan Knauss wrote:
> I see some strange errors in the log file which I don't understand. Any
> help would be appreciated.
>
> 22:03:21.814464 [tile:info] Requesting style(osm) z(14) x(12612) y(7238)
> from renderer with priority 7
> 22:03:21.815113 [tile:warn] request_tile: Failed to read response from
> rendering socket No such file or directory

Issue was caused by mod_tile sending the unknown command id 7
(cmdRenderLow) to tirex.

This was added by Kai in August 2013
"Add another priority level (RenderLow) to accommodate rerenders after
style changes

In addition to Render and RenderPrio, add another priority level of
RenderLow."
https://github.com/openstreetmap/mod_tile/commit/1b4c56d8eda631179b5d03e8472e981425eb1a5f

As this command was unknown to tirex it failed to create a job and
returned an error.

My perl is quite limited. I have no idea why I did not see any message
of this line:
Carp::croak("need prio for new job")            unless (defined
$self->{'prio'});

Still issue was clearly the missing priority due to the command being
out of bounds.

This command is now given a priority (25) below bulk as a completely
expired planet is one of the worst things that can happen from a
renderer perspective. Default tirex puts these in the background queue.

Fix tested and submitted.
https://trac.openstreetmap.org/changeset/30510/subversion/applications/utils/tirex

Stephan