[OSM-dev] Using osmdroid for an Android university course

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Mon Jul 7 11:27:12 UTC 2014

Hi,

(not sure if this belongs in talk or dev)

Next year I am running a university course on Android development.

I am planning to include a section on location-aware apps and mapping, and naturally I want to use OSM. ;-)

Mapsforge is one option, however IMV the new 0.4 API has a little too much complexity for what will be complete newcomers to Android development (they have Java experience though).

So I'd like to use osmdroid, however I'm aware that apps that use raster tile sources can place a strain on tileservers.

It looks like osmdroid will now talk to the MapQuest tileservers though.

Will it be acceptable - particularly if I use MapQuest - to use osmdroid for this course? There will be 20 students max.

Thanks,
Nick