[OSM-dev] List parent objects in OSM XML produced by API

Ilya Zverev zverik at textual.ru
Mon Jun 23 07:18:09 UTC 2014

Hi! I've just opened this ticket, in which I propose to include <parent
/> tags to objects returned by OSM API which were requested individually
(not with map call):

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/768

The tag would allow editors to warn users when they delete or modify an
object which is a part of other objects, not loaded in an editing
session. Consequently, it would minimize number of failed preconditions,
conflicts and broken relations.

I'm sure it won't be much trouble to add support for this tag to popular
editors — I, of course, would do this for Level0.

Are there any reasons not to do this? Can anyone with Rails Port
programming experience code this? Parent objects are already listed on
osm.org's browse pages, so this shouldn't be too hard, or too heavy on
the database.

IZ