[OSM-dev] Area data type -- again!

Ilya Zverev zverik at textual.ru
Tue Jun 24 09:18:37 UTC 2014

Hi all! There has been no discussion of areas since November 2012, and
the last EWG meeting made me think of them for some reason. I believe
a proper area type can be done, and it would nicely represent every
kind of areas — from simple buildings to the coastline.

Please see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Zverik/Areas

It suggests having an area as both an atomic object - much like ways:
list of lists of nodes, - and as a virtual object to which ways refer.
Like multipolygon relations, but reversed: it does not reference ways
(there could be too many: e.g. the coastline), but ways reference it.
It allows for better consistency checks and smarter partial editing.

IZ